These little lovelies are a bit like me on holiday – bright red, a bit cheesy, and absolutely delectable 😉
Flatten, fill, fling them in the oven and frost (that’s a lot of Fs). These cookies are as easy to make as they are to eat.
Before we get crackalackin here is today’s kitchen goss.
KITCHEN GOSS: so the cat’s out the bag, my chummies have discovered my dark secret. That’s right, I’m not only the world’s ugliest sleeper, but I sleep with my eyes open too. Some say it’s creepy, but it’s useful for keeping the intruders at bay x
Back to the biccies, once you’ve got your dough bashed out, werk it into flat rounds. This makes it easier to bring up the sides and cover the filling like delicious little parcels.
These cookies have a cream cheese filling which adds a little something something. You’re supposed to wait until the filling is frozen solid, but I was too impatient so chucked it in runny and they turned out pretty decent, so don’t stress if your filling is a bit soft.
Once all the filling is covered by the dough, bang those bad bois in the oven. Don’t panic if they seem really soft when you get them out, they’ll harden up a bit on cooling.
Now these would be ok as they are, but a bit more cream cheese never hurt anyone. I decorated mine with some stripes, using the rest of the cream cheese mix. Pop it in a piping bag and literally go mad. It’s all in the wrist action 😉
(recipe inspired by https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/red-velvet-cookies)
Ingredients – makes 12 cookies
200g cream cheese
120g icing sugar
- Cookie dough
120g granulated sugar
60g brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
240g plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
- bang your oven on 180C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper
- mix the cream cheese and icing sugar
- pop this in the freezer
- In another bowl whip up the butter and sugars until light and fluffy
- plop in the egg and vanilla
- carefully fold in the flour, cocoa and baking powder
- take a tablespoon of dough and flatten into a round
- spoon some of the cream cheese filling in and close the dough around it to make delicious little parcels
- you’ll have some cream cheese mix left – this is used for the frosting mmmm
- whack them in the oven for 15-20mins
- leave to cool (they’ll harden up a bit as they cool)
- chuck the rest of the filling mix into a piping bag
- ice as you like – I did some rustic stripes
- scoff the lot
And that’s it folks! Red velv cookies, fab with a glass of milk (blue milk only x )